In some counties, restaurants get a grade from the health department depending on their level of sanitation. In LA, for example, the grade is prominently displayed on the window outside of the restaurant so that you can quickly decide whether you want to eat there or not.
But how would your kitchen rate? Do you:
- Always store leftovers right away?
- Defrost your food safely?
- Thoroughly rinse fruits and veggies before eating or cooking them?
- Space the food out in your fridge evenly so that it cools properly?
- Disposed of canned foods that are damaged or swollen?
Take this kitchen sanitation online test (created by the Los Angeles Dept. of Public Health) to see how well you would do. Courtesy of Christa!