When I was in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago, I made this lovely chocolate cake filled with orange marmalade as a special treat. It’s not quite as dense as a Sacher torte, but rather has a nice, fluffy crumb and a deep chocolate flavor. Super easy to make.
Adapted from Enlightened Chocolate by Camilla V. Saulsbury
English Marmalade Chocolate Cake
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
8 oz of canned pumpkin, butternut squash or prune puree
3 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp grated orange rind
1 oz finely chopped unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup jarred orange marmalade
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together buttermilk, canned pumpkin, water, vanilla, orange zest, and eggs until well-blended. Using an electric mixer set on low, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
4. Place the unsweetened chocolate in a small cup and microwave 45 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth and add to the batter. Beat the batter until blended and smooth.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. When cool, invert the cake onto a cake platter or plate and slice in half horizontally. Spread orange marmalade on bottom layer. Replace top. Feel free to frost with your favorite chocolate frosting!